Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Prose and Photographs

Rough Day at Sea
I started writing prose and poetry in my late teens and it peaked in the 1980's! Most of the writings were on scraps of paper, some barely legible and recently I've been turning the scraps into digital form! This blog is an attempt to memorialize the past work and to feature some new work! The early work themes ranged from romantic, to spiritual, political and gibberish!




The Gravity of all Things!

We live our lives unaware of the invisible force.
Yet our very existence is at risk every moment.
Newton figured out the math but never the why?

We travel the solar system with ease and precision,
As gravity sling shots us from planet to planet,
Allowing us to stretch deeper and deeper into space!

Physicist discovered sub atomic particles in an atom,
Naming them quarks, bosons, pions and gravitons?
Much is known about these particles, all except gravitons!

Gravity is our constant companion and our executioner,
Every molecule in our body is being tugged at all times,
By a force once forgotten for a second will be instant death!

Mountaineers know this danger well and wisely fear it!
As do roofers, painters, window washers and the like,
Every successful move is the result of gravity’s grace!

Scientist struggle with black holes, anti-matter and dark matter,
And theorize about alternate and parallel universes,
They readily admit that it’s all a mystery to them.

Dark matter makes up 84.5 % of all mass in the universe!
It appears mathematically but has never been detected or observed.
It makes the math work thru gravity calculations but offers no logic!

The holy grail of physics is discovering a universal force theory
Tying together the strong and weak forces and of course gravity,
And gravity is the most pervasive and least understood phenomenon.

All of existence sprung from the big bang 13.8 billion years ago,
Hurtling everything known into existence including consciousness and life!
Nothing can exist without this mystery, dare we call it God!

December 22, 2017
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
February 2018 




Ephemeral Utopia’s


In the morning rain, a flash in the night sky caught my eye.
An errant electron traced a zigzag path thru the air.
Silently it continued until it collided with a mountain. 
I felt the minuscule vibration of the earthly impact.      

 I climbed the mountain for more than half a day.
Until I reached the place where that meeting of spirits took place.
Fortunately for me the impact creator was about my size.
I squeezed on in and saw that some tunneling had been done.

Black tunnels scare me but something drew me in.
It was a long one least a city block deep.
I crawled and I crawled and I crawled,
Until my knees were bleeding and my head hurt from scraping the walls.

Finally I came across that negative twit.
All nervously shimmering brilliant black.
Upon closer inspection it revealed no form.
Just a mass of hysteria, no beginning, no end, no bounds at all.

Quickly, succinctly I was totally engulfed.
A new world emerged, majestic, luminous, devoid of any previous thought.
It had a sky bluer and higher than any before,
Mountains more beautiful and larger than the universe.

I willingly became a resident of this new paradise.
I danced to its rhythm’s, I swam in its fluids.
I hiked its valleys, rivers, mountains, forest planets and moons.
An existence so elegant, a symphony so enchanting.

I was skimming across a steel blue glacier just about this time.
I saw the unmistakable trace of a wild electron.
It smashed into the ice, knocked me off my feet.
The melting ice propelled me into the newly formed abyss.


4/20/1981    

 Resistenialism (ri-zis-TEN-shul-iz-um) The seemingly spiteful behavior shown by inanimate objects.  

How the Conspiracy of Inanimate objects can lead to Mindfulness!

She swung her arm to add feeling and accent to her point.
Knocking over and breaking a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon!
While checking e-mail the Hawaiian clerk inattentively flipped the wrong switch
Sending thousands of Hawaiians and the world into unbridled panic!

The tight end sees the football hurtling accurately to his waiting hands,
Sensing the massive defensive end closing rapidly in on his position
Quickly he plots his dash and path to glory, six points and the end zone,
Losing attention on the ball for the briefest of seconds it slips thru his hands!

Distracted he carelessly places his smart phone in his open shirt pocket
He spies an object on the ground and bends over to pick it up,
Spilling his phone from the pocket on to the asphalt street
Methodically and miraculously the phone disappears down an open sewer!

Recently a vengeful crack in the sidewalk tripped me and knocked me to the ground.
While slicing vegetables one day a sadistic knife decided to nick my hand.
An angry can of paint forced my foot to kick and spill its contents on the floor,
In frustration I hurl a pickle at the wall it bounces back and smashes my face!

I was dumbfounded, why were inanimate object conspiring to sabotage me?
Seems when we are inattentive earthly object take advantage and attack!
As I contemplated this, I realized my hurried life was making a mess of me,
And I needed to slow my body, my mind and soul to a more attentive state!

Some ancient teachings came back to me, when you walk just walk,
When you eat just eat, when you talk just talk, this is single mindedness!
Mindfulness is deliberate attention to the wonder and power of now! 
My mind is quiet and peaceful; inanimate objects are not misbehaving! 

February 2018                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment