Wednesday, January 16, 2013

King Tides

Surfer Beach Tide 6.4 feet swell 15 feet 1/22/12
King Tides are formed in the winter months of December-February are are caused by the position of the sun and moon. From my experience in the Half Moon Bay area, king tides are generally about 1 foot higher than normal high tides.
Surfers Beach is the closest that the ocean comes to highway 1 in the Half Moon Bay area.  This photo shows a swell 15 feet from the WNW at a 6.4 ft high tide. Surfers Beach faces SW.  Once I saw large pieces of driftwood on hwy 1 after a storm. I'm looking for the combination King Tide with large storm surge from the west . I believe under these conditions this would be a very dramatic scene.................I'm waiting!



I've been collecting the King Tide Photos for 3 years now and this year I've added some new places in Pacifica California.

King Tides Rockaway Beach Tide 6.9 Swell 13-15 WNW

Surfers Beach at low tide 1.1 feet 1/22/11
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve tide 6.7  looking S  121412
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve tide -1.4 looking S  121212
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve tide 6.7  looking N toward Moss Beach 121412
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve tide -1.4 looking N toward Moss Beach 121212

No comments:

Post a Comment